The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ruling 2572

If a person changes something that he has usurped into something better – for example, he makes an earring from gold that he has usurped – then, in the event that the owner says, ‘Give me the item as it is’, the usurper must give it to him and he cannot claim any wages for his efforts. Also, a person does not have the right to revert an item to its original form without the owner’s consent. However, if he reverts the item to its original form or changes it to another form without the owner’s consent, then it is not known whether he is responsible for the difference in value between the two states.