The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ruling 1865

If a person who is owed money by someone entitled to receive khums wants to calculate the amount he is owed in lieu of the khums that is payable by him, he must, based on obligatory precaution, either first obtain permission from a fully qualified jurist or give the khums to the person entitled to receive it who thereafter returns it to him in lieu of the money he owes him. Alternatively, the person who is owed the money can become an agent for the person entitled to receive khums and take possession of it on his behalf as payment in lieu of what he is owed.