The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ask an Alim

wife has send notice thorough sharee council for divorce


I have received a statement of my wife thorough a sharee council in UK for divorce. She has written a 4 pages statement mentioning the various reason, sharee council of UK now asking for my statement, I am from Pakistan while my wife is living in UK. What should I do according to Islamic law and Pakistan legal system? Thanks


Gentle Reminder : Your Assistance Requested : My wife has send me a notice thorough a sharee council asking for divorce not khula what should I do?
Waalykum salam

Thank you for your Question.

According to the Islamic laws it is the man who holds the right to divorce . Unless, the wife had stated a condition during her Nikah That even she holds the right to ask for divorce.

Kindly read on divorce under the following link:

Divorce in Islam

In your case, the decision is yours. The statement doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t have a choice.
Regarding Pakistani law, you will need to approach a solicitor and or local Aalim for further guidance.

Kind regards,

Naajiya Jaffery