The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ask an Alim

What if I can’t pay Kaffarah?


i can not afford kafar ? i am just 17 ? what should i do?


Waalykum salam

Thank you for your Question.

Since I don’t know the specific Kaffarah you’re asking for,  I have here with copied a Kaffarah for fasting.

Ruling 1630. The kaffārah for breaking a fast (ifṭār) unlawfully in the month of Ramadan is that the person must free a slave, or fast for two months in accordance with the instructions that will be mentioned in the next ruling, or feed sixty poor people (fuqarāʾ) or give each one of them a mudd – which is approximately 750 grams – of food, i.e. wheat, barley, bread, or suchlike. In the event that none of these are possible for the person, he must give charity to the extent that he can. If this is not possible either, he must seek forgiveness from Allah; and the obligatory precaution is that he must give kaffārah whenever he is able to.

so according to this, repentance can be done over the gunah, however one must make up the Kaffarah later in life when he can InshaAllah.
for a specific answer to your Kaffarah you may want to get in touch with your Marja’s office or send us another question.