The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ask an Alim

Religion conversion for the sake of marrying a Christian


Q- i love a woman but she is Christian her parents wants that I have to convert my religion then they accept me for marriage otherwise not, and that woman says you convert in Christian for few days then after that marriage you will convert to religion is back as muslim.
So dear Alim is it possible that .please let me know. Thank you


Wa Alaikum al-salam
Thanks for your question

This means abandoning Islam and acceping Christianity which is irtidād or apostasy. according to Islam apostasy is a great sin and a crime. so you can not do this. allah s.w.t blames those who does that in different part of Quran for example in 24 of sura at-tawbah: “Say, ‘If your fathers and your sons, your brethren, your spouses, and your kinsfolk, the possessions that you have acquired, the business you fear may suffer, and the dwellings you are fond of, are dearer to you than Allah and His Apostle and to waging jihad in His way, then wait until Allah issues His edict, and Allah does not guide the transgressing lot.” Allah s.w.t introduces endearing those who oppose Allah and His Apostle as lack of Iman in 22 of surah al-mujadala: “You will not find a people believing in Allah and the Last Day endearing those who oppose Allah and His Apostle even though they were their own parents, or children, or brothers, or kinsfolk. [For] such, He has written faith into their hearts and strengthened them with a spirit from Him. He will admit them into gardens with streams running in them, to remain in them [forever], Allah is pleased with them, and they are pleased with Him. They are Allah’s confederates. Look! The confederates of Allah are indeed felicitous!”(58:22)
according to majurity of scholars a muslim man may contract a valid muta marriage (temporary marriage) with a kitabia (in your case christian). so you can not change your religion because of apostasy (irtidad), also can’t have a permanent marriage to this christian woman; you can have a temporary marriage with her.

Sheikh mahdi mosayyebi