The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ask an Alim

Reciting Namaze Walidayn for Christian Parents


A friend of mine is a convert to the shia faith whose parents are Christians.Can he therefore perform Namaze Walidayn for them.


No, one cannot pray in the above mentioned case.

Qur’an says:

In no way should the Prophet and the ones who have believed ask forgiveness for the associators, (Those who associate others with ‘ Allah) even if they are near of kin, even after it has become evident to them that they will be the companions (i.e., inhabitants) in Hell-Fire. (9:113)

Well, one can always pray for non Muslim parents that may Allah swt give them guidance and tawfeeq to understand the truth.

Kumail Rajani