The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ask an Alim

Medical Issue


As Salam u alaikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuhu . I have a a daughter who has a medical issue . The treatment requires us to go to another country leaving my husbands mother and father behind . They are Alhumdulillah in good health . My parents will be there with me . My husband wants to travel back and forth 3 months with us 3 months with his parents . I really need him for my child and for moral support . The treatment is supposed to last 2 -3 years . My question is do i have the right to ask him to stay with me for that time or no ?


Wa alaykum salaam

Thank you for your question. You don’t have an Islamic right to make your husband stay. But having said this a number of things are important to consider in the situation you have outlined. It seems that your husband is in the middle of more than one responsibility and it is key that you have a good understanding of the pressures he is under. Conversely, it is also important that you communicate the pressures you are under, but not in a conflicting way or as an outburst. Maybe agree to see how the first stages of the separation go without making a firm plan for the 2-3 years. If you can speak with his parents as well, as a family and cone to a decision, then that is even better. Many times parents can be more understanding than we realise, especially when it is their granddaughter’s wellbeing. A family has to make sacrifices for each other and in difficulties they have to be strong for each other too.
May you always be successful and may the treatment go as planned.