The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ask an Alim

Rights of a Woman


Hi, I’m a married man and been living away from my wife for a long time. My wife and I have no intimate relationship for many years. I became friendly with another female who is divorced and we became close. Unfortunately we committed Zina. I did tell her that I would marry her if this happened. Unfortunately I haven’t married this second woman and although my wife has given permission for a second marriage I know this second girl won’t entertain being a second wife. I’m not sure what to do. I am lost as to what is right and what is wrong? I’m also confused as to the “haq” of each woman as well as to what I should do to right my wrongs. Please help with suggestions and guidance


Alaykum Salaam

You must discuss divorce with your wife first and mutually agree on the way forward. In the meanwhile, you cannot have any further relationship with the second woman without marriage, permanent or time-restricted.

You must seek God’s pardon for the sin of zina.

Kind regards

Abbas Jaffer