The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ask an Alim

Is Government money,I am receiving under the pretext of being a single mother haram or me…


Asalamu alaykum shiekh,

I’m in a situation I don’t know what to do and I would appreciate if you can advise me on it.

I got married to someone (nikkah) who’s seeks asylum in this country but his case was closed due to insufficient evidence (his working on getting evidence now). So we can’t register our marriage yet since he can’t stay in the UK until he reopens his case (he can only do that if he has evidence).

Now my problem is I gave birth and I stopped working. Due to that I’m getting support as a single mom since I’m considered not married in this country. I’m feeling the money I’m getting is haram money and I don’t know what to do.

My husband is not allowed to work in this country so he works where he can (he stay at home for long time without job). I’m scared if I declare that he lives with me, and declare what he earns to support himself, firstly he will get in trouble and secondly I won’t get any support. This might lead us to becoming homeless or separate us.

Is what I’m getting haram money and am I committing a sin.

May Allah bless you.

Walaykum salam.


Wa Alaikum al-salam

Thanks for your question

According to the office of Ayatollah Sistani if the payment is according to the rules of your country there is no problem in taking that.



Sheikh Mahdi Mosayyebi