The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ask an Alim

I live in the west and am not sure where I can pay my Kaffarah


I live in the west and am not sure where I can pay my Kaffarah, do you happen to know where I can pay my Kaffarah to feed the poor?


Salamun Alaykum

Thank you for your query.

You can ask your local mosque, as usually they would get requests from needy Muslims in the month of Ramadhan. If not, then you can pay kaffarah to the poor people directly in your city but they must be practicing Muslims. If you don’t find poor people(Fuqara) in your city or country then you can send the money to other place or country where you are sure they will use it properly. There are many online sources that also accept kaffara. Make sure you are using the main site of your Marj’a and the site is authentic.

Kaffarah for the fasts according to Ayatullah al-Udhma Sayyid Ali Sistany:

Ruling 1630. The kaffārah for breaking a fast (iftār) unlawfully in the month of Ramadan is that the person must free a slave, or fast for two months in accordance with the instructions that will be mentioned in the next ruling, or feed sixty poor people (fuqarāʾ) or give each one of them a mudd which is approximately 750 grams of food, i.e. wheat, barley, bread, or suchlike. In the event that none of these are possible for the person, he must give charity to the extent that he can. If this is not possible either, he must seek forgiveness from Allah; and the obligatory precaution is that he must give kaffārah whenever he is able to.

Ruling 1677. Someone who must give one mudd of food to a poor person for each missed fast can give the kaffārah of several days to one poor person.

May Allah(swt) grant you success


AAA under the guidance of Syed Haider