The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ask an Alim

How do I convince my parents about Marrying a revert shia?


I want to marry a person who has reverted to Shia school of thought while his parents are still Sunnis. How do I convince my parents about the marriage? Also, his parents are lovers of Ahlulbait (as) and I am confident about his faith. What remedy do I have if my parents reject him because of societal pressure?


Salaamun alaykum

Thank you for your email.

Firstly I would suggest that you find a right time and sit down with your parents and have a friendly talk(will all respect).  You can share the positive things about the person and give your reasons and listen to their worries and reasons  and keep in mind that parents want the best for us so most of the times their reasons are valid.  But if not, then I feel talking helps solve alot of things.

You can ask your parents to meet the boy at least a few times in different places, that will help them know him a bit better.

Or you could ask an elder in the family or a relative or a family friend or an Aalim or whoever your parents trust to talk to them and try and convince them.

And above all, pray to Allah ( swt ) to give you that which is the best for you in this world and in the hereafter.

Kind regards,