The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ask an Alim

I was forced to get the nikah done in my country My question is: was the marriage valid if…….


Assalamu Alaikum
A few years ago I was forced to get the nikah done in my country (my country does not recognize the Shari’a law, sadly)
My question is: was the marriage valid if:

1.I was emotionally blackmailed that if I had not agreed on nikah, he would have left me
2.There was no wali. The signature of wali in the contract is not present, even though the space for the signature is present
3.The mahr, even if it was mention, was never paid, even in instalments
On top of that, I got to know that one of the witnesses said that I’m not worth that amount of mahr..
4.Moreover, my parents were not present at the ceremony, nor do they know about nikah
He gave me divorce, saying talaq, however it is not written anywhere. The imam, who gave us the nikah, does not want to help me or contact me, even though I begged plenty of times for the contact.
Thank You for help.


Assalamu Alaykum

Thank you for your Question

1-Consent of the girl for Nikah is crucial for it to be valid.
However, if after a forced Nikah she lives with her husband and was ok to be doing so, the Nikah is then known to be valid.

2- Wali is usually the father or paternal grandfather for the girl. A girl (non consummated) must have the permission of the wali for the marriage to be ok.

3- Mahr is your right, and it must be paid to you. Mahr does not show worth of a girl or so.

4- you need to speak to your local Aalim and get help with your case. Talaq cannot be said by just mentioning the words to the wife. It has many conditions

For a divorce to be correct, it has to have the following conditions:

1- You have to have two believing adults as your witness
2- The woman has to be clean of her menstrual period and also shouldn’t be pregnant
3- Proper Arabic words need to be uttered for the act to take place.

Also, i can’t tell from your case who you were forced by for your marriage?
If you were forced by your father, it will be counted as his consent and his physical absence wouldn’t nulify that
And if you were forced by other than him, then you must clarify this to your local Aalim and he shall guide you accordingly

Kind regards

Naajiya Jaffery