The World Federation One Stop Fiqh

Ask an Alim

Demanding Divorce


My husband is the cruel man from the very first day he starts beating me. He was already married before but he didn’t inform me before nikkah. Now I have been living separately since last two years and do not want to go with him I demanded divorce but he is not willing to do so. I do not want to go to court please guide me that in this situation after how much time divorce will be considered applicable.


Salaam Alaykum,

If you have decided that you cant live with your husband,for divorce you’ll have refer to a religous authority (hakime shar’a) in your city; an aalim or a represantative of a marja.
Discuss your issue with him, he has the authority to get your divorce if he finds your case genuine.
Sukaina Taqavi